Due to the sharp rise in rough sleeping, Human Appeal is partnering with One Roof Leicester to pilot a multi-faith night shelter project that rotates around 7 places of worship, with volunteers offering food and companionship for 10 rough sleepers.
It will be open from 12 December 2016 to 27 February 2017. The shelter provides emergency accommodation and food to homeless people in Leicester during the coldest months of the year.
The central coordination and finances are managed by One Roof Leicester, an independent registered charity with the aim of empowering local communities to support homeless people to build new lives. One Roof Leicester is also supported by Housing Justice, who run the national quality mark for winter shelters.
• The project aims to provide emergency accommodation and food to homeless people in Leicester; offering hospitality without discrimination.
• We aim to provide a safe space, allowing clients to rest and reflect.
• Those using our Night Shelter will take the lead in deciding on their own physical, spiritual and social needs.
• We also hope to provide personalised signposting support.
• Leicester Winter Night Shelter is run by volunteers at venues around Leicester. Volunteers are mostly local but are of all ages, faiths and backgrounds.